released 01 May 2011
The Origin of Pillars
"Pillars of Light" is a personal project touching upon my fascination and love for ambient music.
My aim with this album was to create a collection of evolving, spacial ambient pieces and to structure those into a coherent, organic musical experience. The album touches upon themes like space and time, dynamics and silence, darkness and light with hints of mysticism. Aiming to express a sense of timelessness in the music.
The atmospheric musical experience was created from a surreal blending of acoustic and electronic instruments. Using ethnic instruments like the didgeridoo and the shakuhachi, and moulding these sounds into new textures. The guitar also plays a prominent part in the whole album. Especially using it in a loop-based manner along with the wonderful ebow. All the elements were moulded into each other with various audio processing techniques to create a hybrid electro-acoustic mix. Resulting in a dense, surreal, yet peaceful, evolving soundscape.
Working on "Pillars" was both a cathartic experience as well as the achievement of a personal dream.
produced & mixed
by Siddhartha Barnhoorn
in Sid Barnhoorn Music & Sound Studios in Katwijk aan Zee, The Netherlands
Didgeridoo performed by Jaap Pluimgraaff,
recorded in Noordwijk, The Netherlands
All guitars , shakuhachi and synths performed by Siddhartha Barnhoorn,
recorded in Katwijk aan Zee, The Netherlands
Artwork by Gary Tonge
Many thanks to my father, Leo Barnhoorn and to Jaap Pluimgraaff & Niels Guijt for their feedback while working on Pillars.
@2011 Siddhartha Barnhoorn
Review by Marie-Anne Fischer:
I have listened to all your tracks from 'Pillars of Light' and really enjoyed each new musical journey. I had the general feeling of being at peace in a beautiful environment wanting to do nothing else but listen and absorbing the ethereal sounds. With each track I like the slow and subtle build up forming new musical ideas and evolving into a beautiful spacial and warm sounding atmosphere. The synths combined with other instruments and effects continually keep the sound 'therapy' going and make it a unique and inspirational experience. I love all tracks and as a package it delivers a complete feeling-experience done with so much precision and professionalism. Thank you so much for sharing.
I wish you the best of luck and success!
Review by Niels Guijt:
Amazing album! A true journey through life! It's a masterpiece Sid!
Review by John Serrie:
Very nice and excellent textures, your music tells a great story; stay with it!
-01-06-11, Physical disc available here: www.reverbnation.com/store/view_item_album/artist_222517?item_id=1088917
-30-05-11, The download now also features a booklet with all the artwork by the great Gary Tonge.
-29-05-11, Another great review, this time by Travis from hiddenplace music: hiddenplacemusic.blogspot.com/2011/05/siddhartha-barnhoorn-pillars-of-light.html
- 24-05-11, "Pillars of Light" now also available on iTunes: itunes.apple.com/us/album/pillars-of-light/id439202787
- 23-05-11, The first official review by Ambient Blogger Peter van Cooten: www.ambientblog.net?e=388
- 22-05-11, The album is finally available for download here and in other online retailers, one of which here:
- 07-05-11, Wow, 1,178 plays. Thank you all! Spread the word. :-)
- 06-05-11, The artwork has been finished for the physical version and it's beautiful. Pressing cds soon!
- 05-05-11 #2, The album is currently being distributed to over 40 online retailers including iTunes, Spotify, Napster and more...
- 05-05-11 #1, All the artwork for the physical release is almost done. Gary's doing a fantastic job and it looks great.